Adamas University would like to set up a Green IT system through the practice of using computers and IT resources in a more efficient and environmentally-responsible way.
Actions taken so far:
- Server virtualization has been provided in order to minimize the usage of energy for test purposes.
- LCD monitors are being used to save energy.
- Disposal of computers, servers and associated subsystems such as monitors, printers, storage devices, and networking and communications systems are being done efficiently and effectively with minimal or no impact on the environment
- Implementing mandatory sleep settings on all ITS-supported computers
- Using software-based power management tools to reduce the usage of conventional power energy for all IT Infrastructure
- Procurement of power-efficient IT equipment so that energy can be saved directly; the low heat emission will help reduce the use of air conditioners; and the low consumption will save the use of the UPS as well as battery
- Implementing virtualization for the datacentre servers in order to have less power consumption, power backup, space and IT investment (e.g., by implementing VMWare, Microsoft Hypervisor, etc.)
- Opting for VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) later by replacing the traditional desktop by VDI-enabling Thin client in order to save power. Cloud computing can also be thought of as one of the options that would save both cost and time.
- Setting up full duplex printers, thereby reducing paper usage
- Implementing NAS for various storage options as well as setting up a Document Management System for proper sorting as well as restoration of those files
- Ensuring email-based communication, thereby reducing paper usage
- Implementing a digital library, thereby encouraging a paper-less environment
- Implementing video conferencing facilities, thereby reducing travel cost related to visiting faculties in the University
- Using 100% recycled paper, if at all it is absolutely necessary to be used
- Communicating with students electronically via email, web conferencing, etc.
- Participating in the Energy Star Low Carbon IT Campaign